Tuesday, September 8, 2009

An optimum distribution mix for your B2B marketing dollars - Part 1

I came across an exciting job post just today for Madagaskar. It was an exciting role for marketers such as me who are thirsty for unknown territory. But remember Grade 5 geography? Madagascar is in Africa right? The ‘k’ put me off just like a lot of B2B marketers around the world are put off when they see the CEO or CFO’s diktat. Reduce spend, get more ROI…branding be damned.

I swear I love ROI because I know what I would do. I would say – “You need to only spend for 4 months. That’s a quarter & a bit. Beyond that I won’t bother you with budget haranguing.” But in those first four months I would need:

1) An analyst endorsed, syndicated content piece. Industry thought leadership they call it.

2) 3 Webinars with 2 of our clients targeted at geographies we work in. The Webinars have to be necessarily in partnership with a business media of choice with the latter driving promotion of the webinars.

That is all. Once I have these, I would spend the next 2 quarters simply peddling my fare on the Internet while the Webinar leads keep my ever nagging sales team on ‘Run Forrest Run!’

Every marketer worth his/her salt needs a cushion when they can strategize on ROI. But in the real world this cushion never materializes because you are always chasing the eight ball. When I was handed this real world challenge at several places, all I asked for was a budget for 4 months that gave me the cushion to experiment without ever letting the pipeline run dry.

It is almost impossible to predict a model for lead generation that ensures highest bang for your buck. But what I have found is:

1) Organic Search can be the cornerstone for free, high quality leads from month 4 onwards since kick off

2) Paid Search should come into the mix only after 6 months into your annual marketing program

3) Social Marketing can provide the odd gold mine but only after your Organic Search is firmly in place

The day you enter the 3rd quarter, you are primed to get rich. And then come the focus groups & discussion laundering for you to sing aloud on the Web. If you are reading this piece, then I shall talk about how the magic starts unfolding from the 4th month onwards in my next dig.

by Abhiraj Banerjee (abhiraj.banerjee@edynamic.net)

Bookmark and Share




Subscribe to updates


No comments:

Post a Comment